Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year, Same Old Me...

Since Katie posted a blog about New Year's resolutions, I figured I should too.

I have only one resolution this year: to not make any ER trips (for myself) this year. In 2009, I had several injuries and illnesses. In January, I slipped on the ice, hit my head, and blacked out. My whole body was sore for days. In May, I had an infected wisdom tooth and could barely open my mouth, so I had my wisdom teeth taken out. No, this wasn't an injury, but it sure did hurt! In June, I had a severe sunburn that left me itching and screaming. Megan frosted my back with baking soda and water (because I asked her to), which basically ended up making things worse. In August, I hurt my wrist lifting a sandbag in the pool and ended up getting x-rays to make sure it wasn't broken. In September, I fell through a glass coffee table and cut open my hand. I ended up going to the ER and getting 3 stitches. In October, I had the swine flu and was quarantined for a week. In December, I hurt my back lifting a Christmas tree and couldn't move for a couple days. It was a rough year. I have faith that this year will be a lot healthier. If not, at least I'll be working in a hospital for a semester. They'll be able to take good care of me!

There are so many other resolutions I could make. I could say that I'm going to lose weight, get healthy, grow up a little (yes, I know I need to), get organized, etc...but I'm not ready for that. I can't make myself do something I'm not ready to do. My quirks are what make me who I am. I know that I'm fat, but I also know that if I force myself to go on a diet and exercise, I'll just gain it all back. I have to be ready to completely change my lifestyle. I know that I'm a slob. I'm disorganized, a pack rat, and generally a messy person. But have you seen my parents' house? I think it's genetic. I think organization will come in time. First, I need to be willing to get rid of stuff and I'm not ready to do that yet. I also know that I have a lot of growing up to do. I can be pretty childish, petty, manipulative, sneaky, hurtful, and just plain mean. I know when I'm doing it and I know it's wrong. It's something I've been working for several years to fix. That's not something that can be a resolution. It's something that will come with time once I'm able to move on from the past.

So yeah, just one resolution for me. I just wanted to explain the rest because I know you guys were thinking, "man she really has a lot more that she needs to work on." Just hang in there. I'll get to those things too. Now, I need to get off here and get inside my plastic bubble before I get hurt and blow the whole resolution a week into the year.

I love you guys and can't wait to see you in 34(ish) days!!!

2 comments:

Angelhugs said...

Sarah I think your resolution is a great one..... It will save you and pain and cost a lot less!!!! SO GOOO YOU!!! NO ER VISITS THIS YEAR!!!!

And for the rest a very smart person told me just the other day that if you take care of yourself one step at a time everything will fall into place!!! No worries honey we love you for you and all your crazy quirks!!!! Thats what friends are!!!!

Love you and stay out of the hospital!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, please stay out of the hospital. All of your medical events this year have freaked me out a little. And I will never ever again put baking soda on a person, no matter how much they beg me. That was a terrible night. I didn't know what to do. Never ever again. I think sunscreen should be a resolution too.

I love all your quirks. And you can totally be organized have the house not be perfect. So long as you know what is in the piles, it's organized. For reference, you should see my office. Lots of piles, and I, at the very least, tell my bosses that I know what is the piles. And sometimes, I really do know what is in the piles, so I am organized.

I love you and miss you very much! Can't wait to see you soon!